Saurabh's Blog

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

All you can eat !

Recently I had the opportunity to eat as much Milk Maid as possible. I was reminded of my childhood when this was not possible, it was a strict no-no. Access to this over sweet fluid was restricted as part of discipline. We used to fight for the very little portion left over in the tin can after kulfi was made. So naturally when I had unlimited access I was excited. Unfortunately after the first two spoonfuls I couldn’t take any more. There was no pressure to stop!! No fear factor!!


As a child I had restricted access to stuff like cookies, Bournvita or milkmaid and such precious items. So if you wanted something a bit more than the usual rations you had to take matters in your own little hands! We had our chances when the protectors were out or sleeping. My approach was that of a professional. Make sure things look the same way as they were. The Handle of the jar must be as it was; the jars next to it must not be touched. Don’t spill anything, if you do make sure you wipe it and make sure you clean the cloth that you used to wipe it. Clean the cloth that you wiped the mess with, make sure it goes where it was. You also need to make sure after your raid the damage must not be evident right away , it should always be just right, high enough for your craving and low enough to not cause any alarms. Later on I felt really proud of my job, It was like a commando operation ! That was fun !!! I could write a book on these guerrilla tactics.


Today as an adult in charge of my own groceries I can buy as many chocolate cookies or Milk Maid or Bournvita as I like , I can have it for breakfast lunch dinner or all of the three. But how do I eat it ? I just walk into the kitchen with impunity and eat as much as I like. Where’s the fun in that ?