Saurabh's Blog

Monday, October 09, 2006

Stick with Prose

I tried writing a poem once, yeah I was really desperate and there was this chick ... well back to the point, I really tried. I got my pen I got my paper , I got myself but I couldnt get the words : Damn !!!! where to get them from ?

Wait Wait, I thought, I know some poems , then it occured to me; all that rote learning in the school , those Marathi , Hindi And English poems, everything had just been erased on the last day of exams. My deep distrust for all the poets assured that I would never bring them back to my life. I was blank and I was too lazy to go buy a book try to understand poems. Think think... there must be some poem in my mind somewhere . A week later, I had the Pen I had the PaperI had myself but I didnt have my words !!

Cmon !!! Time was running out !!! I had to get something down . I thought ......I thought , I forced my brains like an engineering student trying to make 40 marks when he knows he can attempt 30 marks !! I know you can do it !!!

Ok What comes to my mind first ? .................


Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
How I wonder what you are
Up above the world so high
Like a diamond in the sky

hmm I think I can do it ..Now the Student has just spotted a theory question where he can bullshit maybe 4 marks for attempt what about the next 6 ?
...... Silence , Damn it !

Wait I see a pattern

kaka kaku STAR
Mama Mamu ARE
Tata Tatu HIGH
Lala Lalu SKY


I am suddenly feeling blessed, I am the choosen one !!!
Yes I can do it , The student is now coasting he is beyond 40, hell he is aiming for 55 ! thats higher second class !! I am like the guy who had enlightenment under the tree.

So heres the algorithm; write up some words that will come at the end of the lines and then complete the sentence !! Then the complexity of the sentences increases as you go on. Also need to sprinkle some words like love and feel, yeah on and off let go off any grammer rules hmm and yes shuffle the odd line , make it feel real !!! Amazing !!!

So ok lets have some nice even numbers of lines

You
Too
call
tall
happy
lucky
some
come

Brilliant !!!!!

Then something strikes the corner of my eye its the Pune times , Valentines day is around the corner and the ad goes : last years winner was :

Roses are Red
Sky is Blue
Love is Sweet
And So are you

Yeah from the heart , but wait this goes against the system

kaka kaku RED
Mama Mamu BLUE
Tata Tatu SWEET
Lala Lalu YOU

That makes no sense !!!! Where the hell is the rhyme ? Blue and you , no way !!!!

This is what girls like ? Why not write a letter then , but thats not half as romantic
I am lost; The tree just fell down behind me, The student realised he can attempt only 3 questions from each section and not 5 as last year !!! 30 is again doubtful !!! 40 may be a stretch

Just finish this thing and stick to the rhyme !! You are disoriented but you have to stick to your deadline damn it !
So here is the award winning final draft of the poem :


I like You
Please like me Too
I will always call
my love is very tall
if you are happy
I feel so lucky
Hope you love this poem some
Following which my card will come

I will not comment on the result , the poem was sent, I am single to this day !!!
My advice

Poem writing is a pain
Hurts as Hail during Rain

Hurts like thorns with Rose
Next time just stick with prose !!


~Saurabh