Saurabh's Blog

Friday, July 22, 2005

The Anatomy Of Postponing

I thought I picked it up at Undergraduate college but maybe not.

Std 5th Diwali Homework ( firstly which twisted mind gives homework to students for Diwali Homework ).Those teachers had absolutely no mercy when they assigned homework for vacation. For almost 8 years in school I did "VACATION HOMEWORK" in summer , Diwali and Christmas .

Somebody should have stood up to those teachers and said V-A-C-A-T-O-N well I mispelled that but its so unfair, a vacation is when there is NO homework. Since I believed in that rule. I never started until the evening before the first day of school and then after a lot of yelling from my parents , they got it done for me.

Thats my first experiment with doing things at the last moment.
And somewhere deep inside I realized it worked !!

Then came the 10th and 12th , "Class homework is of no use" we were told and so we did it in the lecture before it was due and what about the homework due in the first lecture ? , do it in the Bus !!! Some Geek always finished it at home.

First day of undergrad , raring to go, promising myself that I will be doing homeworks and assignements on time.
I did !!!
for a week, and then i learnt the hard way that its of no use. Cause in my first week of trailblazing I realized that whatever I wrote people found a lot of errors , professors changed their requirements , Whatever was worthwhile was passed around the whole hostel and by the time I got it , the papers looked like some manuscript just excavated from the ruins of Harrapa. Not to mention the trouble of keeping track of who has the assignment.

Then I decided to try and wait for others to finish first and good things began to happen , mysteriously previous years assignments began to appear. There was an amazing calm, a peace of mind !!

Beg - Borrow - Steal - Cook up your own assignment , but do it last !!

Actually some of my best memories in college are of those times when we were trying to complete assignments . " That time when we did a whole sem worth of work in one night " and "then that time when the proffessor did not notice the experiment values were from last years "

And the speeds !!! 100 pages in 1 hour , 20 diagrams No problem, I was this super fast copy machine !!

Sitting with classmates
have a heavy dinner
come back to the room determined to finish
sleep
then freak out
stay awake the whole night
and finish just on time to submit !

aah good old days

One of my seniors rightly said and I quote "Dont finish first , there will always be someone" , Well, maybe not exactly a sensational statement and maybe no senior of mine ever said that and maybe I coined it myself but I have been following that gospel to this day

( This post was written 5 mins before being posted)